• News
  • Markets

Tesla Says Fatal Autopilot Crash Is Not Their Fault

Tesla Says Fatal Autopilot Crash Is Not Their Fault

On Wednesday, the National Transportation Safety Board revoked Tesla's status as a party in its investigation because the company violated an agreement prohibiting the release of investigative information to the public before the completion of a final report on the crash.

The dispute between the safety agency and auto maker stems from statements the company made regarding Walter Huang, a 38-year-old who died last month in his Model X using the driver-assistance system known as Autopilot.

"Releases of incomplete information often lead to speculation and incorrect assumptions about the probable cause of a crash", the agency said in its statement. Tesla previously said that the electric car's autopilot function was activated seconds before the crash and blamed the incident on driver error in a March 30 blog post and a subsequent statement.

Walter Huang, 38, was killed in the collision while Tesla's semi-autonomous Autopilot system was engaged.

In response to inquiries about Huang's family hiring a lawyer to sue the company, Tesla said in a statement to KGO-TV Tuesday that Huang was likely at fault for the crash. Tesla has given suppliers scant details about the program and had not provided a production time frame, but has now indicated the vehicle would begin to be built at its Fremont, California, plant in November of next year, the two sources with knowledge of the supply chain said. Tesla said that "even though we won't be a formal party, we will continue to provide technical assistance to the NTSB". We don't believe this is right and we will be making an official complaint to Congress. The NTSB guards the integrity of its investigations closely, demanding that participants adhere to rules about what information they can release and their expected cooperation.

Back in July, we reported that Tesla has been working on revamping its maps and navigation system with its own maps using new open source modules from MapBox and Valhalla.

Australia bags billion-dollar rights deal
There will also be a new digital partnership between FOX SPORTS and CA's digital arm, Cricket Network. A partnership that enables us to further evolve our business model into a new future.

Apple Ordered To Pay $502.6 Mln To VirnetX In Patent Fight
While there will nearly certainly be jubilation at the ruling, Apple has a history of appealing. The Patent Trial and Appeal Board has ruled the patents invalid, which VirnetX is appealing.

Trump Planning to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Again
President of the White House Correspondents' Association, Margaret Talev, a correspondent for Bloomberg made the announcement on Friday.

Elon Musk's smart auto manufacturing company has been officially removed from the investigation into the fatal crash.

Tesla cars require drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel and warn them if they don't.

Tesla said Thursday it will no longer participate in a United States probe of a fatal crash after disagreeing with officials over public disclosures about the investigation.

The NTSB also encouraged Tesla and other automakers to "limit the use of automated vehicle control systems to those conditions for which they were designed".

Tesla is no longer part of the probe into the fatal accident, according to a statement the company released this week.

An NTSB spokesman declined to respond to Tesla's comments. It also revoked the party status of both the Independent Pilots Association and UPS during an investigation into the crash of a UPS flight in Alabama in 2014. It was published in 2016, ten years after Tesla's original Master Plan, which previewed the subsequent launches of the Model S, Model X and Model 3, as well as its solar power products. "The company said vehicle logs from the accident showed no action had been taken by (the driver) before the crash and that he had received warnings to put his hands on the wheel". The outlet also said the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also eventually launched its own investigation.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment


Latest News

Breaking News



Recommended

Antonio Conte: 'I am not exclusively to blame for poor title defence'

Conte expressed disbelief that Southampton are battling to avoid relegation despite the quality of players in their team. We have to prepare as if Chelsea are going to be at their best, with their best players available.

Pep: Man City Didn't Fail In Champions League

They will represent a huge challenge for City tomorrow, and the former Barcelona boss knows that only too well. When I heard pundits and fans in November they said it's all done, it's impossible for City to drop points.

Zuckerberg testimony tells us nothing new about privacy

Zuckerberg says the company has already cut off the ability of apps on Facebook to collect such data. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg answered questions for over five hours yesterday at the US Senate.

Seahawks reportedly postpone a Colin Kaepernick workout over protest uncertainty

Reid, reportedly put off, declined to commit one way or the other and left without a contract offer. Kaepernick himself has been deposed under oath by the NFL's attorneys earlier this week in NY .

Suresh Raina to miss CSK's next two games due to calf injury

Raina, who has only recently found a place back in the Indian cricket team, was sad about missing out on the single match. News agency ANI has quoted sources and stated that the remaining CSK matches have been cancelled.

Donald Trump eyeing return to TPP tade pact: US Senators

Roberts said he was "very impressed" that Trump instructed both Kudlow and Robert Lighthizer to explore the idea of rejoining TPP. Trump told CNBC in an interview in Davos, Switzerland that he "would do TPP, if we made a much better deal than we had".

Syria braces for possible U.S. attack, calls it 'reckless'

Theresa May has agreed with her American and French counterparts that the worldwide community needs to respond. The BBC reported that May was ready to give the go-ahead for Britain to take part in military action.

Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

The Yemeni rocketry forces managed on Tuesday to launch a ballistic missile (Badr1) onto a Saudi military camp in Jizan. The group unveiled the Qasef-1 drone a year ago .

Floyd Mayweather makes huge claim over potential fight with Conor McGregor

Mayweather would finish 50-0 as a professional boxer, his last victory coming against McGregor on August 26, 2017. When Floyd Mayweather tries to take the moral high ground, you know you've made a serious mistake.

Israel fires at suspects who briefly breached Gaza border

A Palestinian farmer was also killed last week the before dawn on Friday, March 30th, the first day of the massive demonstration. About 20,000 Palestinians participated in protests dubbed the "Friday of Tires" along the Israel-Gaza border.